“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”
I missed sending the newsletter last week due to a bad case of salmonella. Those of us who live in Mexico can understand! All week I thought about the missed newsletter. I wanted to write it, I didn’t feel well enough, I wanted to write it, I tried to write it, I didn’t feel well enough. It really bothered me (a lot). So, I reflected about this and realized that why I was bothered so much was because I had made commitment, long ago, to making a difference in the world through my healing profession and the newsletter has become an important part of that.
I’ve stayed true to this bigger commitment for over 45 years so here I am! And, I’d like to share some ideas about commitment that have been important to me over the years.
1. Commitment is connecting to something bigger than yourself. This sometimes takes sacrifice and also feeling the fear when you are really connected to a larger vision. Make sure it is something that you can get (and stay) fired up about and not something you think you “should” do or it’s someone else’s dream.
2. Be authentic and courageous about what you stand for and don’t forget the “you” in your commitment. It’s important to understand that you are the one keeping the commitment and the one who needs to “show up”.
3. Don’t be afraid to make your commitment longer than a day or a week or a month. Make it a life long commitment if you can and if it truly is something that you believe in. I know, I know, that sounds like a BIG commitment but it takes that kind of commitment when we want to make a difference in the world or to create a wonderful relationship. We can’t take our commitments lightly. Some commitments, however, are for a shorter period of time and it’s important to know when it’s time to move on and you feel that you have truly kept your commitment.
4. Sometimes it doesn’t work out the way we thought it should. But, that doesn’t mean that we have to give up our commitment to the larger vision. It’s so important to not be attached to the outcome. Revisit your commitment often. Renew and review it periodically so that you can see how it is being manifested on your life’s journey.
5. Tell everyone. Make it a public announcement. When you declare your commitment to the world it has a life of it’s own. I believe that the Universe comes in to support us when we are clear about this! Path’s seem to open up and resources and support come in miraculous ways.
6. Don’t get tied up in what other’s think or say about your vision. It’s YOUR vision.
7. Be open to others wanting to join your vision. There’s nothing better than sharing your vision with a team of like minded individuals who are inspired by by your vision and can enhance that with their own.
What are you committed to? Have you shared it with the world?
I’d love to hear from you at email@example.com about your thoughts. I truly would.